The past few weeks I’ve spent some time in contemplation regarding belief. It wasn’t as much a Belief vs. Faith ponderance as I originally thought, but it was more of trying to define the true meaning of what a belief in something entails.
be-lief (biˈlēf)/ noun:
- An acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
- Something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion or conviction.
To illustrate my point, I have a number of beliefs including these:
- By nature people are good
- Actions speak louder than words
- Communication is the key to success
- That Sasquatch is real
I do not necessarily have faith that my beliefs will always ring true:
- People will not always do good
- Words will often be the opposite of actions
- The failure to communicate does not always result in apocalyptic failure
- That I will get to have some quality time with my main man Sasquatch
I think it’s important to distinguish that what I may currently lack in faith, I still have beliefs of.